Shemer Jewellers, a division of D.Carrington & Co (Pty) Ltd has a long and illustrious history.
The Shemer family, based in Germiston in the early 1900’s started as a general dealership selling everything from bicycles to watches. Eventually the “jewellery” part of the business took off – and in 1948, H.Shemer & Co (Pty) Ltd was formed. The business in those days was located in President Street, Germiston. The business traded as one of the most upmarket jewellery stores in the country for many years, until it was purchased by the Fivelman family in 1977. The business continued to trade in Germiston until it was moved to Bedford Centre, Bedfordview in 1984. Bedford Centre, still Shemer’s home, was to see a further change of ownership in 1998, when the Shemer name and trading store was bought by its present owners, D.Carrington & Co (Pty) Ltd, under the directorship of Derrick and June Carrington and son, Alan.
A story often told by Derrick is that life often runs full circle. As an apprentice watchmaker in the late 1950’s, Derrick worked for Mr.Hymie Shemer. He then left the Shemer business to start his own business and registered D.Carrington & Co in 1966, the irony being that he now owns the Shemer business.